Uniforms help ensure that clothing does not become a distraction to the learning environment. More importantly, the uniform is a symbol of the community that all students in St. Columbkille Catholic School share. Uniforms are not meant to suppress individuality; rather, the wearing of a uniform frees students to demonstrate their individuality in more meaningful ways: through their efforts, through their personality, through their spirituality, and through their service to others.
Parents have a choice of school uniform companies. School uniforms may be purchased from either Dennis Uniform Company or DiGiorgio's Sportswear.
Dennis Uniform Company and DiGiorgio's Sportswear are our official uniform suppliers. Jumpers, skirts, skorts, cardigans, sweaters and sweatshirts must be purchased from either Dennis Uniform, DiGiorgio' Sportswear, or the HSA sponsored Uniform Exchange Program.
- One Christian medal or cross on a necklace may be worn. Other necklaces, bracelets, pins, and rings may be allowed on designated holidays or events which will be announced.
- Students may not wear scarves, bandanas, or hats during the school day.
- Girls may only wear stud-type earrings, and boys may not wear earrings.
- No body piercings, tattoos, make-up, or perfume are allowed.
- Hair should be well brushed or combed, neatly styled and clean, out of the eyes, and for boys, above the shirt collar.
- No artificial hair color or haircuts such as mohawks or razor cuttings or carvings.
- Partially or completely shaved heads are not allowed (use ¼” as a guide for minimum shortness).
Shirts (boys and girls): Polo shirts do not need to be purchased at Dennis Uniform or Educational Outfitters, but must be in the style of a uniform shirt. No pockets, puff sleeves, pleated sleeves, cap sleeves, ruffled trim, decorative trim, or emblems (with the exception of the school logo) are allowed.
- Red polo shirts may be in the traditional style or have a banded bottom. They may be either long or short sleeved.
- Shirts purchased from Educational Outfitters, Dennis Uniform, or Uniform Exchange may be embroidered with the the school’s logo.
- Shirts (unless they are banded bottom) must be tucked in at all times. Banded bottoms that are stretched may not be worn.
- If a student wears a shirt or tank top as an undershirt and it is visible, it must be white.
Sweaters and Sweatshirts (boys and girls):
- Sweaters and sweatshirts must be purchased from Dennis Uniform, Educational Outfitters, or Uniform Exchange.
- Sweaters may be navy blue or red and may be a crew neck, v-neck, cardigan, or vest.
- Sweaters or sweatshirts may be worn at any time of year. The uniform polo must be worn underneath the sweatshirt.
- Oversized or faded sweatshirts may not be worn.
Skirts, Skorts, and Jumpers (girls): Skirts, skorts, and jumpers must be purchased from Dennis Uniform, Educational Outfitters, or the Uniform Exchange.
- The plaid uniform jumper may be worn in grades K-4.
- The plaid uniform skirt may be worn in grades 5-8.
- The uniform plaid skort may be worn in grades K-8.
- Jumpers, skorts, and skirts must be modest in length- slightly above the knee is acceptable. When a student kneels down, the hem should touch the back of her calf.
- Girls may not roll the waistbands on their skirts or skorts.
- Shorts should be worn under skirts and jumpers.
Shorts (boys and girls): Shorts must be in the style of uniform shorts but do not need to be purchased from Dennis Uniform or Educational Outfitters.
- Navy blue uniform shorts (no cargo shorts or bermuda style shorts).
- Belts (navy, brown, or black) must be worn with shorts.
- Shorts may only be worn during daylight savings time.
Slacks (boys and girls): Slacks must be in the style of uniform slacks but do not need to be purchased from Dennis Uniform or Educational Outfitters.
- Navy blue uniform slacks may be worn (no cargo pants).
- Belts (navy, brown, or black) must be worn.
- Socks must be worn and visible above the tops of the shoes.
- Socks may be solid white, red, navy or black.
- Socks may have a small logo in white, navy, black, or gray.
- No colored accent stripes, designs, lace, ruffles, beads, etc. are permitted.
- Girls may wear tights or knee socks following the same color guidelines.
- Girls may wear navy leggings that are snug to the leg and extend to the ankle beneath the socks (no capri length or lace trimmed leggings).
- Shoes must have a closed toe and fasten securely to the foot.
- No boots, crocs, sandals, slippers, light up shoes or moccasins are to be worn.
- Students may wear boots to school on snowy or wet days but need to change into appropriate shoes for the school day.
“Spirit Days” On Spirit Days students may wear:
- Any St. Columbkille school, church, or athletics t shirt or sweatshirt.
- Jeans, athletic pants(no leggings or yoga pants), or uniform bottoms.
- Follow the regular shoe policy.
Dress Down Days: Occasionally, students will be given the opportunity to “Dress Down.” On these days, the uniform code is not being followed but appropriate dress is still required. Please follow these guidelines:
- Jeans, capris, khakis without holes, rips, or tears
- Athletic pants or sweatpants
- Leggings underneath a skirt or dress
- jeggings, leggings, yoga pants, or any pants with words on the seat
- shorts (except uniform shorts during daylight savings time)
- shirts with rude or offensive wording or that promote weapons, violence, etc.
- low cut or off the shoulder shirts, tank tops, or bare midriff shirts
- pajama pants
Winter Weather Clothing:
Please send your child to school prepared to play outside every day in the winter. We recommend that you send a coat, hat, gloves, snow boots, and snow pants. Outside play is part of our program, and our policy is to go outside as long as the “feels like” temperature is 10 degrees or warmer.